This recipe is very loosely based off of the P90X Nutrition Guide’s Vegetable Soup recipe. Basically I added in green peas, asparagus and parsnip in place of half the amount of potatoes. And doubled the amount of cilantro since I didn’t have parsley (I love cilantro, so there!). And instead of tomato sauce I added in tomato paste, for that extra concentrated shot of tomato-ey acidic flavor that balances out the sweetness of the green peas and parsnip.
And the best part, I freeze the remaining portions for future use.
- 10 cups fat-free chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 medium sized white potato, cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 1 medium sized parsnip, cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 2 cups yellow or white onions, cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 1 cup carrots, cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 3 cups celery stalks, cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 can tomato paste (about 8 oz size)
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 10 asparagus stalks, cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients of Group 1 to a large stockpot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium and let simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients of Group 2 to the stockpot. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes more. Season to taste with black pepper and serve.
Yields: 18 servings